I’m Tom, a professional explorer, author and long-time traveller. Originally from England, I’m now based in the South Caucasus.
My big passion project is the Transcaucasian Trail, a frankly ludicrous idea to build a 3,000km-long hiking trail that will follow the Greater and Lesser Caucasus mountains through Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan.
Through this work I’ve explored the Caucasus in depth, co-authoring Armenia: The Bradt Travel Guide, founding CyclingArmenia.com, and designing a trans-Armenia bikepacking route. Hire me to get direct access to this expertise.
This blog is a diary of an unconventional life, and of my adventures and projects in the Caucasus and beyond. This founding statement explains why I do what I do.
(Confirmation of your subscription will open in a new tab.)
Oh – and I’m having a #FlightFree2020, for these reasons.
Latest Blog Posts
- The story of the volunteers hacking a 3,000km path across the Caucasus MountainsI recently penned this 1,500-word piece for Horizon Guides, whose founder Matt I’ve known for many years. Their mission is to expand our understanding of the world through guides, journals and curated travel experience – a mission … Read more
- #FlightFree2020: Travel Blogging And The Multiplier EffectThere’s an elephant in the room with my #FlightFree2020 pledge. My work is tied inextricably to the international travel industry, which in turn relies heavily on flying. In other words, if I continue to do my job … Read more
- Guest Post for Home Of Millican: Building The Transcaucasian TrailOriginally published at homeofmillican.com. In an obscure corner of Armenia, in the town of Dilijan, just shy of the central square, a rickety wooden staircase leads up from the street, through the trees, and into the unknown. … Read more
- #FlightFree2020: About The Time I Travelled The World Flight-Free For 4 Years (And Nobody Cared)My Flight Free 2020 pledge hasn’t come out of nowhere. Call it a rekindling of a long-forgotten conviction that the example I set might actually matter. Because we are all participants, now, in this huge and never-ending … Read more
- #FlightFree2020: Can Flight-Free Living & Adventure Travel Really Coexist? Let’s Find OutToday, on this day of New Year’s Resolutions, I pledge to join the Flight Free UK campaign. Between now and the 1st of January 2021, I will not take a single flight. I’ve joined the campaign because, … Read more