I’m Tom, a professional explorer, author and long-time traveller. Originally from England, I’m now based in Armenia in the South Caucasus.
Since 2015, my big project has been the Transcaucasian Trail, a frankly ludicrous idea to build a 3,000km-long hiking trail that will follow the Greater and Lesser Caucasus mountains through Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan.
Through this work I’ve explored the Caucasus in depth, co-authoring Armenia: The Bradt Travel Guide, founding CyclingArmenia.com, and designing Armenia’s first national hiking trail. (You can hire me as a travel consultant or guide.)
My blog is a diary of this unconventional life, and of my adventures and projects in the Caucasus and beyond. This founding statement explains why I do what I do.
Latest Blog Posts
- About The Time I Travelled The World Flight-Free For 4 Years (And Nobody Cared)My Flight Free 2020 pledge hasn’t come out of nowhere. Call it a rekindling of a long-forgotten conviction that the example I set might actually matter. Because we are all participants, now, in this huge and never-ending … Read more
- Can Flight-Free Living & Adventure Travel Really Coexist? Let’s Find OutToday, on this day of New Year’s Resolutions, I pledge to join the Flight Free UK campaign. Between now and the 1st of January 2021, I will not take a single flight. I’ve joined the campaign because, … Read more
- Five Of Armenia’s Most Spectacular Monastery HikesMany of Armenia’s most famous Christian monasteries are dramatically situated amid towering cliffs or on precipitous mountainsides with panoramic views across the rugged landscapes of the Lesser Caucasus. In ancient times, accessing these centres of study and … Read more
- The Gegham Mountains: Exploring Armenia’s Volcanic BackcountryThe Gegham Mountains are an imposing chain of volcanic domes that bisects Armenia from north to south. For most of the year they are impenetrable due to a thick layer of snow. But come June, as snow … Read more
- How I Added ‘Guidebook Author’ To My List Of So-Called ProfessionsA quick heads-up that the new Bradt Travel Guide to Armenia, whose 5th edition I’ve co-authored, has arrived in the warehouse and will be shipping from today! Click here to order direct from the publisher at a … Read more