I’m Tom, a professional explorer, author and long-time traveller. Originally from England, I’m now based in the South Caucasus.
My passion project is the Transcaucasian Trail, a frankly ludicrous idea to build a 3,000km-long hiking trail that will follow the Greater and Lesser Caucasus mountains through Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan.
This blog is a diary of an unconventional life, and of my adventures and projects in the Caucasus and beyond. Follow along on Twitter, Instagram or Medium, or subscribe to my very occasional, very interesting newsletter:
(Confirmation of your subscription will open in a new tab.)
Oh – and I’m having a #FlightFree2020, for these reasons.
Latest Blog Posts
- #FlightFree2020: Well, That Was Easy – Or Was It?When, on January 1st, I and many others committed to not flying for a year, none of us imagined 2020 would see 90% of air traffic disappear and the biggest reduction in aviation emissions since the invention […]
- New Interview Now Live On The Self-Propelled PodcastI very much enjoyed chatting with Dave Cornthwaite a couple of weeks ago while recording a new episode for his Self Propelled Podcast. We travelled a meandering path of conversation on the theme of living life on […]
- How To Fundraise For Your Expedition (Or Other Adventurous Project)This article is based on a lecture I gave for the Royal Geographical Society at the 2019 Explore expedition planning conference. If you’ve arrived here expecting an ‘ultimate guide’ or ‘blueprint’ with three easy steps to finding […]
- Trail Notes From The Stunning Zagros Mountains Of Iraqi KurdistanIn December last year, just before my #FlightFree2020 began, I took a hike across northern Iraq, where my long-time collaborator in adventure Leon McCarron has been working with the Abraham Path Initiative on a nascent trail project […]
- The story of the volunteers hacking a 3,000km path across the Caucasus MountainsI recently penned this 1,500-word piece for Horizon Guides, whose founder Matt I’ve known for many years. Their mission is to expand our understanding of the world through guides, journals and curated travel experience – a mission […]